Healthy and delicious, this hearty salad is great to serve all year round.
Makes a perfect light meal or side dish for anything grilled and it’s great on a buffet table.
For the salad
- 2 cups wild rice, uncooked
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4-5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup green peas, boiled in water for 3-4 minutes
- 1/2 cup black olives without pits, chopped
- 1/2 cup black raisins
- 1 cup parsley, stalks and leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup dill, stalks and leaves finely chopped
For the vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
Add rice and 7 cups of salted water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 45-50 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and place the rice in a bowl. Pour half the vinaigrette over warm rice mixing thoroughly, then set aside to cool.
Combine rice with all the other salad ingredients and the rest of the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
This rice salad keeps well in the fridge for up to three days.