Full of Omega 3, without the mercury and very affordable. That is the power of sardines. Of course, you have to like them – and not everybody does. In any case the smell of grilled sardines is inexorable connected to the Mediterranean summer. We like them slightly “overgrilled”. Do not let the blackness of the grilled fish put you off, it adds extra flavour.
- 250g sardines, cleaned,gutted, scales and heads removed
- 160g onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 200g potatoes very finely sliced
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 225g tomatoes, peeled and deseeded
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water (or more if needed)
Preheat your oven grill to high temperature.
Wash and drain the sardines on paper towels.
Blend the peeled and deseeded tomatoes with the sugar in a mini food processor until smooth.
Arrange the onions, garlic, potatoes and sardines in a baking dish large to fit the sardines in one layer. Spread the pureed tomatoes over the sardines. Sprinkle with the dried chilli flakes (if using) and chopped parsley. Add the olive oil, the water, season with salt and pepper and arrange the halved cherry tomatoes on top.
Place on the second shelf in your oven (not very close to the grill) and grill for about 10-12 minutes. Turn over the sardines and the potatoes, add the capers and the oregano and some more water if needed. Grill for another 15 minutes or even more if you like your sardines “slightly overgrilled” like we do!